Monday, October 20, 2008

10/19/08

Today after work, I stopped at the BP where I usually get my candy bar and energy drink every day. After I got out of the car, I was stopped by a man who was down on his luck. His hands were cold, his face weathered, and his eyes hungry. He was rail thin, and I could tell that he hadn't eaten in days. He started to offer me a phone and headset, but I interrupted him and asked if he wanted to get something to eat. We walked to the Wendy's next door and I paid for his food. We sat and talked about life, he told me about the shelter he was trying to get into. They drug test, and if he stays clean for three more days, he has a bed there. I gave him an undershirt I had in my back seat. It's not much, but it's an extra layer.
Before I left he hugged me and told me,"God's going to bless you young man."
"He already has," I replied. "You're turn is next."
We never exchanged names.

No comments: